The most advanced form of optical bonding in the industry: VacuBond® Vacuum Bonding & Vacuum Assembly/Laminating
In close strategic and technical co-operation with the Japanese Taica – Group the Data Display Group developed their own optical bonding production process: VacuBond®.
Take a look at our newest video describing the benefits and process of VacuBond
Vacuum bonding (also direct dry optical bonding) allows for a zero optical defect production and provides perfect material stability (no yellowing). Also modern sleek TFT displays can be bonded with this fully automated production process without any problems.
In contrast to the competitor-used polyacrylate / acrylic material with an operating temperature range of only -30 to +80°C and medium-term yellowing, we solely process the Taica high-performance silicone, which was developed especially for optical bonding. It features an operating temperature range of -40 to + 120°C and shows no yellowing. Please click here for further advantages of VacuBond® and an extensive overview of successfully passed certifications.
- bonding of
- all TFT display sizes up to 32″
- cover glasses on TFT displays with integrated PCAP touch
- touch screens of all technologies and/or protective glass
- PMMA/acrylic glass
- modern TFT displays without solid frame / housing
- of the pure TFT cell without bezel
- the rear of the TFT cell to eliminate free air spaces
(“free air exclusion bonding” respectively “Void exclusion” bonding for ATEX – IECEx – certification)
- direct bonding into your housing / bezel
VacuAssembly / Laminating enables:
laminating all kind of glasses (also PMMA and Acryl) and touchscreens of all technologies up to 32″. In contrast to autoclave laminating (often > 100°C) the VacuAssembly process takes place at room temperature and avoids laminating beyond the specified temperature range of the components.
- Touchscreen – glass
- glass – glass
- Touchscreen – PMMA / Acryl
- multi layer construction (eg. EMI pane – touchscreen – glass)
The strength of VacuBond® dry optical bonding becomes evident when bonding electronic paper, which, in contrast to a TFT displays, has no mechanically stable structure, and no bezel. The high-tech silicone OPTαGEL® securely connects the e-paper with a protective glass, or foils to a unit. The smooth surface of the e-paper is susceptible to scattered light and reflections, which is further exacerbated by the air gap between the e-paper, and a tape-bonded protective glass. The OPTαGEL®fills this air gap, reduces reflections, prevents the ingress of moisture, and dirt, thus ensuring a high-contrast display of the e-paper contents. In addition to protective glass, Apollo displays also bonds foils that evenly distribute the light of the front lighting. Not only is our OPTαGEL® long lasting, but e-paper bonding process is reversible, too.
As a medium-sized company, we specialize in order quantities of approx. 25,000 pieces / year, but also co-operate with OEMs:
- We install a complete bonding system on site (identical to ours)
- We supply the latest machine control
- We train the partners in constructing the production tools
- We train the production team on the basis of current bonding
- Improved readability without increased power consumption:
By eliminating the air gaps between the TFT display and the cover glass/touch, the light refraction is reduced and the contrast increased significantly
- No condensation or fogging:
Optical bonding avoids the air gap between the panes of glass – moisture cannot penetrate
- No contamination:
Optical bonding avoids the air gap between the panes of glass – dust and dirt cannot penetrate
- The danger of splintering glass is considerably reduced by the full-surface fixing / bonding with the high-adhesive OPTα-GEL®, so that the risk of injury decreases.
- High Vibration and shock resistance:
Optical bonding increases the strength and resiliance of the TFT Display; the high tech OPTα-GEL® counteracts vibration resonances and dissipates shock energy to the sides
- The shock resistance was proven by drop-ball tests. The video shows drop ball tests with a smart phone: The first one with an OPTα-GEL® protective film, the second one without protective film.
- Improved heat Dissipation (up to factor 8):
By eliminating the isolating air gap between the panes of glass, heat can dissipate trough the front glass. This reduces the risk of heat build-up.
- Reversible process:
we can re-bond e.g. for repair,which means no loss of expensive material
Together with our customers a wide variety of certifications in agricultural machinery, automation, automotive, avionics, MIL, ourdoor and railway were carried out successfully.
- No damage to the TFT display or touchscreen due to UV exposure
With LOCA bonding, the liquid adhesive is cured with UV light, which can damage the components if the dosage is too high or incorrect. This damage cannot occur with the VacuBond® process because the OPTα-GEL® does not have to be cured.
Bonding – Service:
We are offering VacuBond® as a production service for any available display, no matter if it is part of our standard product range or not.
We produce samples in any size up to 32″ within a few days. In order to be even faster and more precise, we create the tools for sample productions on our own 3D printer.
The Data Display Group has two identical VacuBond production facilities at its headquarters in Germering near Munich and at its site in Ronkonkoma, NY / USA. This ensures a permanent supply and a comprehensive risk Management.