February 7, 2022
What is Optical Bonding?
Optical bonding is the process of attaching a touch sensor and/or cover glass to an LCD display. This process adheres the two parts together to create a solid bond between them without any pockets of air or air gap between the layers. The air gap is the primary cause of reduced readability from loss of contrast resulting from the internal reflections. Optical bonding is necessary to improve the optics and build strong, durable screens that can last a lot longer than traditional screens that have not utilized optical bonding.
Advantages of Optical Bonding
Investing in quality optical bonding has many benefits for your screens, including:
- Brighter visuals – One of the best benefits of this process is that internal refraction is eliminated, creating a better and brighter display.
- Strong durability – Optical bonding helps build stronger and more durable screens. The adhesive layer works as a shock absorber, protecting from damage and breaks caused by accidental drops or hits.
- Protection from dirt, dust, and moisture – Because the optical bonding process eliminates the air gap layer, condensation buildup and dust infiltration within the device’s internal components is no longer a worry.
- Improved sensitivity to touch – The eliminated air gap helps improve the touch screen’s functionality. The touch detection becomes much more accurate, creating an overall better and more reliable user experience.
- Lighter display weight – The cover glass can be thinner, making for a more lightweight display that is easier to transport and handle.
Optical Bonding with Apollo Display Technologies
Here at Apollo Display Technologies, we’re optical bonding experts and have provided customers with top-of-the-line optical bonding services since 2001. We use our own industry-leading VacuBond® optical bonding, which is a dry process that allows for zero optical defect production and provides perfect material stability with no yellowing, along with a clear image and incredible durability. Our method uses pure silicone gel sheets with the bonds performed in a vacuum chamber to yield perfect results every time.
Contact Us Today to Learn More About Our Custom Digital Screen Solutions!
As the global leader in optical bonding, Apollo Display Technologies supports you in all project phases – from the construction of the metal housing and procurement of specific parts to the in-house development of controller boards and touchscreen integration. In need of a product, part, or have a project in mind? Contact us today at (631) 580-4360 or click here for more information.