February 7, 2022
The Importance of Data Privacy
Data privacy refers to the need to keep information, or data, secure from unauthorized viewers. Some data that is important to keep private and protected include social security numbers, financial information including bank accounts and credit card numbers, health and medical records, passwords, and more. Some information as basic as your full name, birthdate, and address should also be kept to yourself.
When private data gets into the wrong hands, a slew of bad things can result. On a large scale, if a government agency experiences a data breach, top secret information about national security can be seen by enemies. On a personal scale, if hackers steal your private information, you can become the victim of identity theft, stolen finances, and more.
Tips To Keep Your Data Private
Corporations and agencies spend millions of dollars annually on data protection because of how dangerous a data breach can be. You never know who could be looking to steal your personal information, so it’s important to always do your part in keeping it secure. The average person doesn’t have a large fund they can use to invest in their data privacy, but some simple tips can go a long way to keeping your information secure:
- Create strong passwords, including a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters, special symbols, and numbers. It’s also suggested that you reset them frequently.
- Be conscious not to overshare your personal information on social media and utilize settings that restrict who can view your private data.
- Never save your passwords in your browser and never share them with others.
- Back up your important data to reliable hardware periodically to avoid loss in the case of a data hack.
- Install reliable antivirus software on your devices to stay ahead of hackers and ransomware.
- Beware of using unrestricted Wi-Fi in public areas where others can be monitoring your online activity.
- Maximize your privacy settings on all of your accounts and, when available, use multiple factor authentications to access important accounts.
- Close out any accounts you no longer use.
- Keep your software systems up to date since updates often include security fixes that help keep you safe.
Contact Us Today to Learn More About Our Custom Digital Screen Solutions!
As the global leader in optical bonding, Apollo Display Technologies supports you in all project phases – from the construction of the metal housing and procurement of specific parts to the in-house development of controller boards and touchscreen integration. In need of a product, part, or have a project in mind? Contact us today at (631) 580-4360 or click here for more information.